David M. Mills, MD, FACS and ASOPRS Certification
David M. Mills, MD, FACS
As one of the few surgeons to be certified by both the American Board of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS), Dr. David Mills’ unique expertise distinguishes him as a premier surgeon. Dr. Mills is also one of the few oculo-facial plastic surgeons in the region to have completed 2 years of ASOPRS-accredited fellowship training in this field.
David M. Mills, MD, FACS
Dr. David Mills originally pursued his undergraduate degree in biochemistry at Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts before pursuing his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School. After completing his residency training in ophthalmology at the University of Florida-Gainesville, Dr. Mills went on to Albany, New York to complete his fellowship in oculo-facial plastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic surgery in a 2 year program accredited by the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS). He is also a fellow of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS), the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS), and the American College of Surgeons.
More about Dr. Mills:
- Recognized nationally as one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists”
- Published over 20 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
- Presented at over 40-invited speaking opportunities.
- Reviewer of scholarly, scientific journals.
- Featured on the cover of the American Journal of Ophthalmology (AJO), Ophthalmology Times,and The New Ophthalmologist.
- Developed online training video program for the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) on how to perform cosmetic lower eyelid surgery.
- Active Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fellow, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Member
- American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery Member
- Florida Medical Association Member
- American Medical Association Member
- Florida Society of Ophthalmology Member
American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS)
ASOPRS is the gold-standard society for facial plastic surgeons who are also board-certified eye surgeons. Requirements for membership/certification include:
- Completion of a 2-year fellowship at an approved fellowship program
- Successful completion of 3-year ophthalmology residency
- Must be a Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Must be a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- The surgeon must also successfully conduct and submit a peer-reviewed and committee-approved research thesis
- Successful completion of written examinations
- Successful completion of oral examinations
- Ultimately must be voted into membership by the existing members
How is an ASOPRS-certified surgeon different from general ophthalmic or plastic surgeons?
When choosing your surgeon, it is important to understand what certifications and memberships truly mean. Below, we provide key points you should know.
General residencies in ophthalmology & plastic surgery:
- General ophthalmology residencies traditionally lack substantial OculoPlastic surgery training.
- General plastic surgery residencies have traditionally dedicated little time to teaching facial cosmetic surgery.
- Focus their training exclusively on oculo-facial plastic surgery.
- Are world leaders in Oculo-Facial plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
When choosing your surgeon, remember:
- Many surgeons who perform blepharoplasties and eye plastic surgery are not ASOPRS-certified.
- Experienced surgeons may produce respectable results but ultimately, you are looking to reduce risk and maximize results when selecting a surgeon.
- If you are looking to for the best possible results, look for an ASOPRS-certified OculoFacial Plastic Surgeon.